E.C. Glass history reaches all the way back to Edward Christian Glass, superintendent of Lynchburg Schools from 1879 to 1931. In 1920, Lynchburg Public High School on Park Avenue was renamed E.C. Glass in his honor and has been a focus of civic pride ever since. A new school opened at its current site, on Memorial Avenue, in 1953. A caption on a picture from 1955 called it the city's most expensive building. Here is a selection of photos from hundreds in our archives showing the early years -- through 1971 -- at Glass.